Our units utilize our proprietary NASA developed PCO nano technology. They do not require high, costly maintenance (like changing filters), low energy consumption, aluminum housing, sanitizes surfaces as well as the air, made in the USA, and documented independent studies are provided.
The filters capture larger particles, such as dust, that is more prevalent in cars and other vehicles. You need to check the filter annually and clean it as particles begin to accumulate.
No, the lamps contain very little mercury and remains inside the lamp. UV lamps should be disposed of properly. Find disposal centers in your area at www.earth911.org.
The gel contains a chemical that will stain bacteria red. Fuzzy spots indicate a type of mold. The test kits are for educational purposes only and not intended to diagnose a mold or bacteria problem or differentiate between different types of mold or bacteria.
The unit will work with a window open. In fact if you open a window on the opposite side of the house from the unit it will help pull the ions through the house. If all windows are open however the unit will work less effectively. This happens because the ions are being pulled outside and mold and other contaminants are being pulled inside your home.
They were designed this way because they are used in smaller areas like a car and you may not require the full force of the unit in smaller vehicles. You should always run the Mobile on high when there are higher contaminant levels, like smoking.